China’s ambassador to the United States said in a Tuesday interview with Fox News that Beijing is still open to resuming trade negotiations, and blamed the U.S. for changing its mind too much.
Ambassador Cui Tiankai also slammed US move to ban the transfer or sale of US technology to Chinese telecom giant Huawei. “All these actions taken against Huawei are politically motivated,” he said.
“If we review the process of trade talks between us over the last few months or so, it is evident that was always U.S. that abruptly backed away from some previous deals that had been tentatively agreed,” Cui told Fox News.
Despite the disagreements, the Chinese ambassador said his country is still open for further negotiations.
The problem now is there are no further trade talks between top Chinese and U.S. negotiators have been scheduled since the last round ended in a stalemate on May 10, the same day U.S. President Donald Trump sharply increased tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods and took steps to levy duties on all remaining Chinese imports.
Experts have warned that a prolonged trade war will lead to a slowdown in global growth which would dent corporate profits and dampen the renewed optimism of a global economy on a rebound.